Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Can You Really Work Less and Accomplish More?

Great musicians claim that their music comes to life because of the spaces between the notes.
Artists use the dark areas to bring the colors to life. Similarly, the spaces between your hardest working efforts allow ideas and solutions to incubate and grow.
When Leonardo da Vinci was working on The Last Supper, he spent many days on the scaffold, painting from dawn till dusk; then, without warning, he would take a break for a few days.
The prior of Santa Maria delle Grazie who contracted for his services was not amused. He would beg Leonardo to continue with the work. He preferred that Leonardo be “just like the labourers hoeing in the garden, never to have laid down his brush.”
Leonardo tried to persuade the old gentleman that “the greatest geniuses sometimes accomplish more then they work less.”
A few minutes ago, while I was writing this item, some tree trimmers nearby cut our power line. After my initial thoughts of “arggghhX@#!,” I went outside to find a gorgeous sunny fall day, fed a treat to our fish, walked back on our nature trail, saw a neighbor who informed me they’re expecting a new baby this week, and chatted briefly with the tree trimmers (they anticipated my anger but by then I choose to compliment them on the work they were doing).
Then my wife Joanne and I enjoyed a lite lunch on our front deck, undisturbed by phones and computers.
By the time I returned to find the power restored, I had several new ideas that had come to mind.
Although you may not find your boss accepting of the idea that “the greatest geniuses sometimes accomplish more when they work less,” this process is as natural as inhaling and exhaling in our breathing.
Welcome the planned or unexpected rhythms in your life as periods of incubation for your greatest accomplishments.


Be sure to see all our latest wholesale arrivals @ http://savesucash.com/

No comments: